Wednesday, March 19, 2014

LOW CALORIE PIZZA BAGELS


I don't know about y'all, but I'm obsessed with pizza. Pizza has probably been my favorite food since I was a young child and I can never get enough of it. The major issue with pizza is that the calorie count is through the roof. Because I've been adopting a healthier lifestyle recently, in an effort to become more fit (and let's be honest, lose some weight), I've been making these low-cal cheese pizza bagels at least once a week. The best parts? They're inexpensive, easy to make, taste great, and are less than 200 calories!
Ingredients:
1 Bagel Thin (try Thomas or Nature's Own, 110 cal)
1/8 cup Pizza Sauce (I use the Contadina squeeze sauce, 8-15 cal)
1/4 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (I use Target brand Market Pantry reduced fat, 70 cal)
A pinch of garlic salt
*feel free to add veggies or toppings for a few added calories (i'm a cheese pizza kind of girl)

Prep Time: 3-5 minutes
Cook Time: 5-7 minutes







Step 1: Go ahead and preheat your oven or toaster oven to 400°, if necessary. I prefer a toaster oven, because it's a smaller cleanup and mine doesn't need to be preheated.

Step 2: Separate your bagel into halves.

Step 3: Apply your pizza sauce to the flat side of either bagel half. Use as little or as much sauce as you want. I used probably a little less than 1/8th of a cup and there was plenty on the mini pizzas.

Step 3: Measure out your shredded mozzarella cheese. I use 1/4 cup (which is a serving size for this type of cheese). Just like with the pizza sauce, use as much or as little cheese as you want. For me, a serving size of 1/4 cup is just enough.

Step 4: This step is optional, but I highly recommend sprinkling on a little garlic salt. I find that it really adds a ton to the otherwise plain flavor and makes it taste more like an actual  pizza that you'd pick up at a pizza place. If you want to add any other toppings, right now is the time to do it.



Step 5: For this step, just pop your pizzas in your oven or toaster oven. I leave mine in for 5 minutes, but everyone's oven/ toaster oven is different, so experiment a little with the amount of time you leave it in. Try 4-5 minutes first and if the cheese doesn't look melted, leave it in for a couple more minutes.

Step 6: That's it! Let your bagels cool for a minute or so and enjoy! *For reference, the final calorie count of my mini pizzas was 195 calories.

Let me know if any of you try out this recipe and how it turned out for you. What's your favorite low calorie recipe? Are there any other low calorie food options you'd like to see on this blog? 

1 comment:

  1. Oh i love it, too!! :)
    Great post..
    I'm trying to follow you via gfc but I don't know if it says my name.
    I'm following you via Twitter just in case.. (name: Kleonikaki_tz)
    Kisses
    Claire
    http://notebookofclaire.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete